Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cinque Terre


I was hoping that I would be better at keeping up with this! I'm sorry that this hasn't been as regular as I would have hoped!

Anyways, Cinque Terre was the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life! Cinque Terre, which means "Five Lands" is composed of 5 adorable towns in the Liguria region of Italy, along of the coast of the Ligurian Sea. The towns are Monterosso (#5) , Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore (#1). My four travel mates and I stayed in an apartment for three nights just off of the harbor in Riomaggiore (check out the view from our window!!!). I bought a post card while I was there, and you can actually see our apartment on the postcard - in other words, we had an awesome view and fell asleep and woke up to the sounds of the sea.

Here is a public link my Facebook photo album.

(The reasoning behind the title: one of our travel buddies, Ben, got stung by a small jelly fish one day when we all swam out to some rocks to sunbathe. He was fine though. And the busted ankle was Matt - who fell really hard one night while we were exploring the nightlife in Monterosso.)

Cinque Terre has beautiful rock beaches and great views, but the real purpose of going is the hike the 9K trail along the coast through all five towns. The entire hike is estimated to take approximately 5 hours (there are some very difficult, steep parts of the trail). We completed the hike it 3 hours and 45 minutes. We are BAD ASS. Unfortunately my camera died halfway through the hike, but I got the best views in.

Anway, we're off to Rome this weekend. It's Ben's 21st birthday today, so we're planning on doing a pub crawl in Rome tonight to celebrate. €20 and we get a t-shirt, free wine/beer for an hour, and then 1 free drink from every bar we got to. Can't wait!!!! Rome is going to be way cool, look forward to pictures!

Ciao!

No comments: